Indian children hospitalized after ingesting hand sanitizer instead of polio drops
Srikrishna Panchal, a senior officer of Yavatmal District Council, said the incident occurred at a primary health center in Yavatmal on Sunday during the National Pulse Polio Vaccination Campaign.
Panchal told CNN that the incident came to light after he complained of discomfort and vomiting in children.
All the children have been admitted to the government medical college in the district and are in a stable condition, the official said.
He said a probe has been ordered against three health workers, including a doctor present at the time of the incident.
On Sunday, India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched a three-day all-India polio vaccination campaign.
Polio was once a common virus. In some young children it may affect the nerves and cause muscle weakness or paralysis. There is no cure and no cure, but vaccination can prevent infection.
In 2014, the World Health Organization certified that India was polio-free after going three years without a spatial case.
Five years ago, India was home to almost half of global polio cases and due to hygiene challenges and high density populations, the disease was considered one of the most technically difficult places to eradicate.
The eradication of polio in India is recognized as one of the greatest achievements in global health efforts, but vaccination programs and surveillance must continue to prevent outbreaks.
Polio has been eradicated in Southeast Asia, the Americas, Europe, Australia and most areas of Africa. Wild strains of polio spread to only two countries: Afghanistan and Pakistan.