The charges are based on evidence found during the criminal investigation of the fire, Navy spokesman Commodore. Sean Robertson said in a statement, which is “sufficient to direct a preliminary hearing in accordance with due process under the military justice system.”
The sailor, whom the Navy has not publicly identified, was a member of Bonholm Richard’s crew at the time, Robertson said.
Vice Admiral Steve Koehler, the commander of the 3rd Fleet, is considering the court-martial charges and ordered a preliminary hearing that will make recommendations under the Uniform Military Justice Code for further proceedings “that include a belief in a crime”. probable cause or not. Committed and to offer a recommendation for disposal of the matter,” Thursday’s statement said.
The Bonholm Richard was designed to support Marine Corps operations, but was de-commissioned and scrapped after damage assessments found that it would cost billions of dollars to restore the ship.
Navy officials said it would cost $2.5 billion to $3.2 billion to restore the ship and take five to seven years, adding that some 60% of the ship would need to be replaced.
Kenneth Braithwaite, then-Secretary of the Navy, said in a statement last year: “After a comprehensive material assessment that considered and assessed various courses of action, we came to the conclusion that the financially responsible for reinstating her Not there.”
The Navy also looked at how much it would cost to convert the Bonhomme Richard’s remains to another type of vessel, such as a hospital ship, but the cost of such a conversion could exceed $1 billion – more seaworthy than building a new similar one. ship.