Paul Whelan returns to Russian labor camp after being sent to medical facility

During his time at the facility, Paul Whelan was not able to contact his family, David Whelan said in an email to reporters.

According to David, Paul Whelan was not given medical attention for two weeks after he was there, and after chest and elbow X-rays, “he was not given any additional medical treatment.”

“Paul has returned to his labor camp in the same condition in which he left him,” David said.

Paul Whelan told CNN In a phone call in early June that he had a cough and bursitis in his elbow from factory work at the camp, he said that “it’s very difficult to get medical care here.”

Upon his return to labor camp IK-17 in Mordovia – about an eight-hour drive from Moscow – Paul Whelan was given permission to call his parents.

“Obviously, the IK-17 warden canceled Paul’s phone account and therefore was not able to make calls while he was away,” said David Whelan, but noted that “a possible explanation is that Paul was transferred from IK-17 and abandoned.” of communication for more than two weeks to keep him on the ice.”

“Not that they planned any more audio statements, but it neatly silenced Paul during and after the meeting between President Biden and President Putin,” he said. “Otherwise, the lack of medical care and the long stay is meaningless in itself.”

CNN has reached out to Russia’s Federal Peninsular Service for comment.

The former United States Marine was detained in Moscow in December 2018 and sentenced to 16 years in prison for espionage, which he vehemently denied.

US President Joe Biden said he has discussed the affairs of Paul Whelan and Trevor Reid – Another American detained in Russia – during his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Geneva, pledged to “follow through” that discussion.

“I raised the issue of two wrongfully imprisoned American citizens, Paul Whelan and Trevor Reid,” Biden said during a news conference on Wednesday after the summit in Geneva.

“The families of the Americans detained came and we discussed them. We’re going to take that discussion forward. I’m not going to shy away from it,” he said.

The families of both men expressed appreciation that Biden had spoken by their names.

After the summit, the US and Russia sent their ambassadors back to their respective positions after months of absence. US Ambassador to Russia John Sullivan returned to Moscow at the end of June – Development welcomed by Whalans.

David Whelan said on Monday: “We are pleased to see that Ambassador Sullivan returned to Moscow and immediately spoke with representatives of the State Department.” “These were the kind of discussions and contacts we expected to see after the summit.”

“Hopefully the next time Paul has to leave IK-17, it will be to return home,” he said.

CNN’s Anna Chernova contributed to this report.


Source link

Popular Topics

Related Articles

Translate »