The joint chiefs of South Korea said in a statement that the two short-range missiles were fired from the Hamju region of South Hamyong province off the east coast of North Korea toward the sea at 7:06 am local time and 7:25 am local time. Gone.
The statement said the projectile flew approximately 450 kilometers (280 mi), reached an altitude of 60 kilometers (37 mi), and is believed to be equipped with ballistic missiles.
The exact type of the missiles was not clear, a senior US official previously told CNN, citing an intelligence briefing.
Seoul’s National Security Council, which reported the launch, expressed “deep concern” and said it would review the security situation on the Korean peninsula in coordination with the United States.
Joint chiefs said the South Korean military was closely watching related movements in preparation against possible additional launches.
Speaking to reporters in Tokyo, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga condemned Japan’s launch as a “threat to peace and security” and contrary to UN resolutions.
Suga said, “Japan lodged its severe protest and drew strong condemnation. Urging the public to” be fully prepared for the contingency situation “.
“Monitoring and surveillance needs to be increased more than ever,” he said. “I have held an emergency National Security Council meeting. We will work closely with the respective countries, including the United States and South Korea, and we are determined to protect people’s lives and peaceful livelihoods.”
Earlier, Japan’s Ministry of Defense stated that the projectiles had been landed outside the Japanese zone and its Special Economic Zone. Japan’s Coast Guard has warned ships to be on the lookout for falling debris.
Second test in less than a week
Officials and experts had speculated that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un would attempt to send a message to the Biden administration about the country’s importance in the region.
In that test, a US official told CNN that North Korea had launched short-range projectiles, possibly artillery or cruise missiles, not ballistic missiles – a major difference that underscored the Biden administration’s approach to it. There was no serious violation and this would not prevent America from diplomating with Pyongyang.
Pyongyang “has indicated that it is no longer bound by the unilateral nuclear and ICBM test moratorium announced in 2018, suggesting that Kim Jong may begin testing an improved ICBM design in those near future,” he said.
‘When we practice attacking them, they practice naked us’
A ballistic missile launch is a violation of UN Security Council resolutions, and “it’s going to make it a little harder for the Biden people,” said Jeffrey Lewis, a professor at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies who specializes in open-source intelligence .
Lewis, who previously described the weekend’s short-range launch as “two” out of 10, told CNN on Wednesday evening that the new ballistic launch would be “more than two”.
The US Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense visited the region and the launch was not entirely unexpected in the days following a joint US-South Korea military exercise. “When we practice attacking them, they practice humming us. It’s just the yin and yang of the thing,” Lewis said.
Although it is unclear what type of ballistic missile was launched, Lewis said it was unlikely to be a more powerful long-range missile.
“For really long-range missiles, they are picked up when they go up, and they stay up for 10-20 minutes. With ICMBs, we heard about them coming down before launch, And it was a good plane. “He said.
“This time, they went up and they came down.”
CNN’s Jake Kwon in Seoul and Zuko Ogura and Chi Kobayashi in Tokyo contributed to the reporting.