Trial for Aung San Suu Kyi Begins in Secret
T

Trial for Aung San Suu Kyi Begins in Secret

The closed-door trial began in secret, with the two defendants appearing by video. The defense counsel also did not know what was happening. By the time he reached the court on Tuesday afternoon, everything was over in less than an hour.

The trial of Myanmar’s civilian leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was lifted two weeks ago in a military coup, and the ousted president, You Win Myint, began on Tuesday. They face unexplained charges that could put them in jail for six years and three years respectively.

Ms Aung San Suu Kyi was accused of violating import restrictions after walkie-talkies and other foreign equipment were found in her villa complex. He was also charged with violating a natural disaster management law by interacting with a mob during a coronovirus epidemic that had not previously been publicly disclosed.

Mr Win Mint has been accused of breaking natural disaster restrictions.

The first day of the trial of Myanmar’s elected leaders created a ruckus for two weeks in which a soldier who ruled the country for nearly half a century shut down hundreds of people, snatching civil liberties before sharing some power with a civilian government The entire population and strongly ignored the millions of protesters who have risen against the seizure of their power.

Ms Aung San Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate who has been leading the democratic opposition to Myanmar for decades, has not been seen publicly since the soldiers were landed at her villa in the early morning of 1 February, but the poster But his smiling face has been omnipresent. And signs carried by protesters during their daily rallies.

The trial was fraught with inconsistencies with so many legal cases in Myanmar. Yoo Khin Moong Zaw, Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi’s lawyer, was originally told that court proceedings would begin on Monday. Then he was convinced that it would be Wednesday. At 11 am on Tuesday morning, he was suddenly informed that his client was appearing through a video conference in a court in Napidav in the capital.

“It seems that at this point in time they don’t want public attention,” said Mr. Maung Zaw, an experienced human rights lawyer.

But as word of the trial, people in Myanmar on Wednesday urged one million people to gather at the Sule Pagoda in Yangon, the largest city, to quickly conduct an online campaign.

Mr Khin Maung Zaw has been told that the next testing session will take place on 1 March and that the trial can last from six months to a year.

Mr. Win Mint, who served as a High Court lawyer before becoming President, would represent himself.

Mr. Khin Maung Zaw said that he had already started building his client’s security, if only he would be allowed to present his case in court. While Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi was accused of violating import regulations, the walkie-talkie in question was used by her security team, which was assigned to her by the military-controlled Interior Ministry, she said.

“This question is the first question, when I get a chance I will ask the court,” Mr. Khin Mong Zaw said. “Let’s see how they will respond to this.”

Shortly after the trial of Ms Aung San Suu Kyi and Mr Vin Mynt began on Tuesday, the country’s new rulers, who call themselves the State Council of Governments, held a news conference in which they called on Myanmar’s elected leaders Treatment defended.

The brigadier said, “Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the President are in safe custody and they are in good condition.” General Zan Min Tun appearing in civilian clothes in his first meeting with General Media.

Dozens of government leaders were detained along with Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi and Mr. Win Mint, but the allegations against them were not made public. A roll of fundamental rights in Myanmar, announced last weekend, allows indefinite detention.

General Zaw Min Tun raised questions about the possible effects of targeted financial sanctions from the West. He rejected a civil disobedience movement in which about 750,000 doctors, civil servants, railway workers, electricity providers and others united as evidence of the protesters’ lack of patriotism.

And it defended the repeated suspension of its restrictions on military services and popular social media sites.

“We need some kind of ban,” he said, “because Facebook is the main source of misinformation and fake news.”

As General Zaw Min Tune’s words were broadcast live on Facebook, people in Myanmar launched a humor campaign to dissolve Facebook’s social media policies as the news conference was disbanded.

It was over before any action took place.



Source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Construction in My Building Is Ruining My Life. What Can I Do?

Construction in My Building Is Ruining My Life. What Can I Do? Question: In January, I moved into a two-bedroom, market-rate apartment on the Upper...

The Louvre Recovers Armor Pieces Stolen Nearly 40 Years Ago

The Louvre Recovers Armor Pieces Stolen Nearly 40 Years Ago After sunset on May 31, 1983, and before the next morning, a showcase in the...

In China, a Backlash Against the Chinese-Born Director of ‘Nomadland’

In China, a Backlash Against the Chinese-Born Director of ‘Nomadland’ When Chloe Zhao won a Golden Globe for Best Director for her filmItinerant"Last Sunday, becoming...

Here’s How I Fought For My Dog To Become The First Downhill Skiing Service Animal

Here's How I Fought For My Dog To Become The First Downhill Skiing Service Animal People kept taking pictures of me. While I waited...