A YouTube spokesperson said in a statement to CNN, “We removed the video in accordance with our COVID-19 medical misinformation policies, which do not allow content that tells people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin to treat or prevent the virus.” encourages its use.”
Johnson’s spokeswoman Alexa Henning told CNN that Johnson’s account would be suspended for a week and that the video posted on her account was from a virtual event hosted by the Milwaukee Press Club.
According to the company, YouTube does not allow medical misinformation about COVID-19, including anything that recommends the use of ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19.
In July 2020, the US Food and Drug Administration revoked an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to treat COVID-19. The agency now says that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have not been shown to be safe and effective for treating or preventing COVID-19.
Johnson expressed anger at YouTube for its decision to suspend his account.
“They have decided that only one medical approach is allowed and that is the approach prescribed by government agencies,” Johnson said in a statement to CNN. “YouTube’s ongoing COVID censorship proves they have accumulated a lot of irresponsible power. Big tech and the mainstream media believe they are smarter than the medical doctors who put their lives to science. Dedicated and used his skills to save lives.”
Johnson’s spokeswoman Henning said a full video of the incident posted by the Press Club remained on YouTube until Friday evening, when it was removed with a message saying it violated YouTube’s Community Guidelines .
Milwaukee Press Club president Corey Hayes also tweeted that the video remained on his page and then later updated in a tweet that the video had been removed by YouTube.